Thursday, July 30, 2026

August 2026 PlanetWise Newsletter

 

Why Do the Economic Numbers Feel So Small?

A household accounting of what really matters

By Mónica Pérez Nevárez | August 2026 PlanetWise Newsletter

I have been going through my things lately, deciding what has value and what I can let go of. A camera I have not used in years. Books I loved once and will not read again. Furniture too big for the small living room I have now. Every item a question: does this still serve the life I am living now, or is it a relic from a life I am no longer living in? That is the accounting I am actually doing this month, and it has very little to do with the accounting splashed in the news.

The latest national reports say the American economy grew at an annual rate of 1.5 percent during the second quarter, while inflation-adjusted consumer spending increased at an annual rate of 3.2 percent. Consumer prices were 3.5 percent higher than a year earlier. Food was up 3 percent, electricity 4 percent, gasoline 26.7 percent and energy overall 15.7 percent. The numbers are official. I do not think they are invented. But lately, economic numbers feel too small beside what I encounter in the produce aisle.

Perhaps that is because I live in Puerto Rico, where economic growth has felt suspended in the same uncomfortable limbo for most of the past two decades. Perhaps it is because averages tend to flatten the experience of particular people in particular places. A national inflation rate cannot tell me why foods I remember buying for ten dollars now cost fifteen. It cannot distinguish between an increase in the electric rate and a mini-split working overtime to keep one room medically tolerable during a heat wave. It does not know that my electric bill has moved from roughly $150 to $200 a month, or that gasoline I once bought for seventy-five cents a liter now costs around $1.10.

The numbers may be accurate. But they have been averaged until they mean nothing to my daily life.

I feel economic change at the checkout counter long before any news report averages it out. I see it as smaller meals, postponed errands, a higher electric bill, buying less gas at the pump, and the quiet removal of things that no longer fit within this month's budget. It changes what I cook, when I cook, and whether cooking a full meal is even sensible. During this heat, I make snacks into meals, eat one beautifully seasoned vegetable, or buy a deli sandwich, because adding more heat to the house would have just created another problem. And it is the same instinct that has me going room to room deciding what I still need, what someone else might want to buy, and what simply needs to go. The heat has done what nostalgia couldn't; I am not being sentimental about any of it anymore. My yard sale is not a eulogy for my past. It is an inventory for my possible futures.

I know perfectly well that I am not following a graceful plan. I am improvising, adapting and being careful with every bit of time and money while still getting what I need. My goal is very clear: get through this rough patch, and if it turns into a longer situation, fit my life to the new conditions. Some days that means feeding myself simply. Some days it means photographing and pricing my possessions for a virtual yard sale. Either way, it is economic activity in its most honest form. I assess what remains, decide what has value, buy and use things carefully, and try to waste as little as possible.

This heat has also taught me that cool air is sometimes a medical necessity, because heat triggers my asthma. I conserve electricity in the morning by opening the windows for cross-ventilation, and I close myself into my air-conditioned room when the midday heat becomes unbearable. Distinguishing between the actions I can reconsider and the ones that keep me alive is where my resilience begins. It is the same kind of sorting I am doing with my belongings this month. I am learning to distinguish between the things I can live without and the things I cannot.

That sorting is changing how I think about simplicity, too. Making “less” into “enough” is not about romanticizing deprivation, nor is it about enduring a situation that better planning could have prevented. It means removing unnecessary difficulty so my limited money, time, strength and attention go toward what actually matters. A simple meal can still nourish me. A small appliance can cook a meal without heating the entire kitchen. A clothesline can replace the dryer for my weekly wash, just as it did for two years during Covid, when I had no washer or dryer. That was adapting and learning something I still use.

I ask the same question of my house that I have been asking of my closets: what needs to keep working, no matter what happens? One cool room. One working refrigerator. Water storage. Light. Communications. I keep a propane camp stove, repurposed from the years I used to go camping, that lets me cook without depending on the grid. I have a cooler that keeps medications safe and keeps face and neck cloths cold. I have handheld fans and a spray bottle of water. I have some skills that let me earn a little money, legs that let me reach my neighbors on foot, and enough standing in the community to help organize a mutual aid brigade if one is needed. I protect the essentials first and build whatever else I need in stages, the same way I am letting go of my things in stages.

Those are the beginnings of an Energy List. What I still need to build toward is a larger household battery for the refrigerator, some solar capacity, a cistern and a way to filter water, and a pantry built around canned foods I actually eat. The list also includes knowledge of which part of the house stays coolest and which gets hottest, when to use which appliance, how to break a hard task into manageable pieces, and which neighbor has which tool or skill so I am not duplicating what already exists two doors down. None of this gives me certainty. It gives me some peace of mind, and it probably spares me some of the worst consequences of the next heat wave, prolonged outage or interruption in the things I normally depend upon.

This household accounting is also changing how I look at the things I buy. The price tag has never contained the whole cost of getting something to my supermarket. Cheap food may depend on exhausted soil, badly paid labor, long transportation routes and refrigeration from one end of the chain to the other. Convenient electricity may depend on a grid I cannot rely on and fuel whose price I cannot control. A low price can conceal damage done to some forgotten stream and every town downstream from it. A high price can conceal fragility. What matters is not what something costs today, but what I will need, every day after that, to remain fed and healthy.

Perhaps the economic numbers are not too small after all. Perhaps they were never designed to describe a life this closely. They can show broad movements in a national economy. They cannot tell me what to keep, what to sell, what to protect or how to get through August. So I choose to begin somewhere else: with the economy as I find it in my house, one room and one shelf at a time.

I am looking at what should remain. I am deciding what has to be protected. And I am adapting as fast as I can, one clean drawer, one energy bill, one breath of cooler air at a time.